This expression means that to fully test something you need to experience it yourself. No matter how much we put on our webpage, nothing will be better to understand Davidson Green School than to experience it yourself. However, as a starting point, here are some links that speak to many of our philosophies and ways of being. Please remember that while we enjoy these articles, we take of them what feels right to us, and leave the ideas that do not. Enjoy.
Sound Clips and Videos
- Unstructured Time
- Documentary Trailer “Race to Nowhere”
- TED Talk – Schools Kill Creativity
- TED Talk – The Decline of Play
- TED Talk – Going Natural in Education
Homework (DGS does not assign homework)
- Homework: An unnecessary evil? … Surprising findings from new research
- Do Students Really Need Practice Homework?
Grading and Tests (DGS does not give traditional grades or tests)
Mindfulness (At DGS, we start each day with yoga and meditation)
Free and Unstructured (“Teachers – Leave those kids alone!”)
- 5 ways to let a little more risk into your child’s day (and why that’s a good thing)
- Why Daydreaming Isn’t a Waste of Time
- Child’s Play Is About More than Games
- Less-structured time in children’s daily lives predicts self-directed executive functioning
Creativity (Valued and Fostered at DGS)
- The Psychology Behind Messy Rooms: Why The Most Creative People Flourish In Clutter
- Nonconformity and Freethinking Now Considered Mental Illnesses
- Can Any School Foster Pure Creativity?
- School Is a Prison – And Damaging Our Kids
Academics (The way children should be taught)
- Children Teach Themselves to Read
- Math Instruction versus Natural Math: Benezet’s Example
- Why Engineering for Children?
- CHILDREN LEARN NATURALLY…IF WE LET THEM
Traditional Schooling (What we are not and why)
- How Does School Wound?
- Award-winning Virginia teacher: ‘I can no longer cooperate’ with testing regime
- The right — and surprisingly wrong — ways to get kids to sit still in class
- Joint Statement of Early Childhood Health and Education Professionals on the Common Core Standards Initiative
- A tough critique of Common Core on early childhood education
- Why Preschool Shouldn’t Be Like School
Other Great Topics
- The Heart of Teaching: What It Means to be a Great Teacher
- STEM vs STEAM: A Look At Half-Brain Teaching
- How Not to Talk to Your Kids
- The Trouble With Bright Girls
- A Better Way to Say Sorry
- Exercise Is ADHD Medication